24/10/2011

Q&A With Melissa Coker, 'Wren Clothing'


Born and raised in Lake Forest, Illinois, Melissa Coker, the founder of Wren Clothing has had a colourful and exciting progression from intern to owner of her own womenswear collection.

In 2007 Coker launched LA Based ‘Wren’, known for her free-spirited exuberance and restrained elegance, Coker has quickly become a leader of low-key sophistication in fashion.

Late 2008 Coker began collaborating with friend and filmmaker Alia Raza to create innovative video look books of her collections, with the SS09 video called “Another Three Woman”.

Wren Clothing is featured in such fashion publications like Elle, Nylon, Marie Claire (US & UK), Lucky, and Women’s Wear Daily (US & UK).

With the likes of such prestigious publications calling out for Coker’s designs to be featured it’s no wonder why celebrities and indie icons alike such as; Alexa Chung, Keria Knightly Reese Witherspoon and Zooey Deschanel are fans.

Q: Have you always wanted to be a designer and if not then what?
A: I started out working in editorial at Vogue & W magazine. It wasn’t until I was recruited to provide trend forecasting and design direction that I began thinking about making the transition to being a designer.

Q: Arethere any designers that you aspire to be like? A: I love Charles Anastase.

Q: As a designer, what do you hope to gain? A: I design with myself in mind — making things that I am looking for and wanting to wear.Each season it’s like getting a whole new wardrobe.


Q: What defines your collections style?
A: Classic & feminine, with a tomboy’s touch. Wearable & about an individual’s style rather than being overly trendy.

Q: If you could only pick one piece from your collection as your favorite what would
it be & why?
A: Right now there is a silk paisley printed dress from fall that is in very heavy rotation within my wardrobe.

Q: What do you find inspirations and how do these things influence your work? A: My biggest inspiration is people I see on the street, friends, real women.
It’s mostly how people put themselves together, the styling and the like.

Q: Where do you go to relax?
A: If I’m in LA, I go hiking in Griffith Park & out to dinner with friends. In New York, I love having a drink with friends at the Bowery Hotel.

Q: Name three key trends for SS12
A: I’m loving Varsity sweaters, pattern mixing & accordian pleating

Q: What kind of creative direction do you want to take your next collection in?
A: To be determined! Working on that as we speak

Q: In the next five years where would you like to be?
A: Brick & Mortar stores, accessories & shoes lines. Intimates would be lovely too.

Images from: http://www.wren-clothing.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment